top of page

Billing FAQ

If you have a question about your Water or Sewer bill, we recommend you check the Billing FAQ's below. If you still need help, please email us.

If the issue is urgent or, you feel you need to discuss it with one of our representatives, the Billing Department can be reached at the following numbers: Voice 301-737-7400 Ext 202 FAX: 301-737-7459

If you prefer to meet with us in person concerning the issue, please bring your bill and any other documentation you may have to our offices during normal business hours (8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Mon - Fri).

Q. When are payments due?

A. Payment is due upon receipt of the bill. A late charge will be applied to all outstanding balances not paid by the last day of the month.

Q. I am purchasing a new home, how do I establish new service?

A. When setting up a new account, we only require the top page of the settlement statement after the property has gone to closing. It can be e-mailed, faxed or brought into the billing department. Your liability for the account initiates per the settlement date.

Q. How do I get my MetCom account number and PIN?

A. Your account# and PIN# is found in the upper left corner of your bill. Your account PIN is a 4 digit number used to verify your identity when accessing your account online.

Q.  I am selling a home, how do I cancel service?

A.  If you are selling your property, the first page of the settlement is require. The seller is responsible for all charges incurred up to the settlement date.  Pursuant to Sections 113-12(D)(4), 113-14(G), 113-14(G) and 113-29(M)(4) of the Code of St. Mary’s County, past due and currently assessed MetCom charges constitute a first lien against the property to which they relate.  If a property conveys to a purchaser without the correct proration of the past due and currently assessed MetCom charges, the title to the property is clouded by the existence of the MetCom lien for any such charges assessed and owed. MetCom liens are statutorily created and are not recorded In the Land Records.  However,  MetCom liens are disclosed in the Land Records room, in accordance with Sections 113-12(D)(7) & (8) of the Code of St. Mary's County, which provides

  1. To give notice to the general public of existing liens and charges against any property within any sanitary district abutting on any water or sewer main, the Commission shall keep a public record of all names of owners of property, locations of the property, lot numbers when of record and the amount of the connection charges or other charges that may become liens.

  2. The records shall be kept in the land records of St. Mary’s County and the Clerk of the Circuit Court for the County shall furnish space necessary to keep and preserve the records, that, when recorded in the public record, are legal notice of all existing liens within any sanitary district. 


NOTE: In keeping with this requirement, an Aging List of all MetCom accounts is delivered by MetCom to the Records Room each month.  Please ensure your settlement agent is aware that you are a MetCom customer and that all unpaid charges constitute a lien against the property.

Q. I am renting a property, how do I establish service?

A. We require a Request for Change In Billing Address Form to be completed by the owner before setting up the account. This form can be accessed and submitted via the Fiscal/Forms and Applications link on the website or you can print it and mail it back to Metcom. The change will be effective on the move-in date or the date of the most recent bill date based on the date the Change in Billing Form is received by Metcom, which ever is later. The account must be paid in full before it can be transferred into a tenant's name.

Q. When is my meter read?

A. There are 16 routes, divided into 3 reading cycles with each meter being read once per month. The routes are designed so that each account has approximately 30 days between each meter read. Bills are based on the prior months usage. All water usage will be billed based on the tiers for the meter size. For customers with both water and sewer service, sewer usage will be billed based on water usage.

Q. What are the penalties for non-payment?

A. Penalties for non-payment can range from, a late penalty being assessed to the account up to and including, the property being sold at the annual County Tax Sale auction. The severity of the penalty assessed to any account is dependent upon the timeframe in which the account goes unpaid.


           1. MetCom billing statements are due upon receipt, however, a customer has until                  the last day of the month to make payment before receiving a late charge in the                  amount of 1.50% of the outstanding balance being assessed. Pursuant to                              Section  113-14 of the Code of St. Mary's County, the late charge may be at a rate                  not to  exceed 1.5%. NOTE: MetCom prints a reminder notice on all delinquent                      bills.

          2. If non-payment goes as long as 60 days, the property would be subject to                            service disconnection.

          3. If an account goes beyond 60 days of non-payment, the account will be up for                    review in October to see if the property is eligible for Tax Sale the beginning of                    the following year.

          4. If the account is deemed eligible for Tax Sale, MetCom will make two (2) formal                    attempts to notify the property owner of their intentions regarding the delinquent                account, before proceeding the appropriate collection actions.

          5. Waivers and extensions of time to pay may be applied for, on a case by case                        basis due to financial hardship of the owner.

Q. My service has been interrupted for non-payment, when full payment is made when will service be restored?

A. If water service has been terminated, it will not be resumed unless a $65.00 ($75.00 with curb stop box) turn-off/turn-on charge plus full account balance is paid with certified funds. If paid after 3 PM the fee will be $120 ($130 with curb stop box) to recover overtime costs, service will be restored same day.

B. If Grinder Pump/Sewer service has been terminated, it will not be resumed unless a $155 fee is paid prior to 3 PM. If paid after 3 PM the fee is $235, service will be restored same day.

Q. What do I do before my water service is restored?

A. It is vital that all fixtures are turned to the off position prior to the Meter Technician restoring water service. Failure to do so may cause considerable delay in the restoration of water service.

Q. What is the System Improvement Charge?

A. Pursuant to Section 113-29 of the Code of St. Mary's County, System Improvement Charges are designed to cover debt service for the performance upgrades, repair and replacement of existing systems and for capacity expansion to be used by current customers. Each class of customers pay the same System Improvement Charge per equivalent dwelling unit (EDU). All properties that abut a public water line and have been allocated capacity pay the water System Improvement Charge. All properties that abut a public sewer line and have been allocated capacity pay the sewer System Improvement Charge. The Commission may defer the monthly payment of a System Improvement Charge on a dwelling if the homeowner meets certain financial eligibility criteria.

Q. What is the Ready To Serve Charge?

A. The Ready To Serve Charge is paid by every property connected to the public water or sewer system. It is a monthly uniform charge based on meter size, and is used to fund the day-to-day operation and maintenance of the water and sewer utility.

Q. How do I enroll for Autopay?

A. Autopay payments are processed the 22nd of each month. the Autopay (Bank Draft) Authorization Form can be located at under "pay your bill online". Once you have submitted the electronic form, the billing department will enroll your account to begin direct withdrawals. If we receive your form before the 22nd of the month, your Autopay will begin that month. Otherwise, it will begin on the 22nd of the following month. Please note, we only accept Autopay utilizing a checking or savings account. We do not accept credit or debit cards for Autopay.

Q. How do I establish connection to Water & Sewer?

A. In order to process a water and/or sewer connection request, please contact the MetCom Engineering Department. Phone: 301-737-7400 ext. 301 or email:

Please include the following information at a minimum:

Service Request Type: Water Only, Sewer Only, Water and Sewer

Full Owner Name

Property Address to be Served


Load MetCom Area Map                                                                    Driving Directions To MetCom      

bottom of page